Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Timing!

For some reason I keep coming back to this image from last Saturday's shoot with Christina. On one hand I feel that I missed the shot, most likely I pressed the shutter a second too late, which I have a habit of doing because of my dependancy on the camera's auto focus system. Yup even with a full frame body like the 5D and fast lens manual focus is pragmatic at best for me, so I a rule pretty much don't press the shutter unless the selected focus point is on the model's eye or other key feature. This of course results in a number of near misses here and there. On the other hand there something about this image that's communicates a feeling of sensuality with a just a hint of vulnerability.


2 comments:

  1. lovely shot, Mike.
    nice tones and light. also a very nice model.

    I'm wondering that you use autofocus for such shots.
    I mean, if she is not running away or jumping zick-zack lines, you can manually set the focus and leave it as it is. even at f/5.6 is enough sharpness to cover all areas of interest. well, for that you need to set the cam on a tripod, but it works very well. the only thing that the model should be aware of, is to stay on "her place" :-)

    VT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vernon,

    Thank you!

    I find that I tend to move the camera and myself around quite a bit when shooting, you should see how crooked the backgrounds look in some of my shots :) :)
    I am going try what you suggested for at least part of my next shoot :)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete