Friday, December 12, 2008

Shooting wide open or why I love primes

Yup something else that I love and pretty much discovered by accident. Of course like most other photographer I've read about and know how aperture can be used to control DOF but like most I pretty much stuck to F-8 or close to it, that was until the spring of 2006 when I got my first prime lens the 85mm 1.8 from that moment on I was addicted to primes. Soon afterwards the use of controlled or limited depth of field, usually in the F2-F2.8 range, to get just that perfect mix of subject to environment soon became a key element in the composition of my work. Now days when pre composing a shot or serious of shots I try to envision which aperture will allow the perfect balance of subject to surrounding rather then just using some arbitrary aperture bases on some tests on the web.




No comments:

Post a Comment